- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 yellow onions (large, chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (coarsely, plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup leaf parsley (coarsely chopped fresh flat-, plus more for garnish)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (2 fl. oz./60 ml)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 large garlic cloves (crushed)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 bone in chicken thighs (skin-on)
- 2 preserved lemons (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (4 fl. oz./125 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups cracked green olives
1. In a small bowl, soak the saffron in 2 Tbs. warm water for 10 minutes
2. In a food processor, combine the onions, the 1⁄2 cup cilantro, 1⁄2 cup parsley and 2 Tbs. of the lemon juice. Add the cumin, ginger, turmeric and the saffron and its soaking liquid. Season with 1 tsp. salt and process to a pulpy puree. Transfer to a large resealable plastic bag. Add the garlic and 3 Tbs. of the oil. Add the chicken pieces, seal the bag and massage to coat the chicken with the mixture. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
3.In a large, heavy pot, warm 1 Tbs. of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the lemon slices and sear until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining 2 Tbs. oil to the pot. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, shaking off the excess and reserving the marinade. Working in batches, sear the chicken pieces, skin side down, until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to another plate.
4. Pour the broth into the pot, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the pot bottom. Stir in the
reserved marinade and add the chicken and any juices. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 40 minutes.
5. Simmer the olives in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Add the olives, the reserved lemon and the remaining 2 Tbs. lemon juice to the pot. Cover and simmer until the chicken is falling-off-the-bone
tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Garnish the stew with chopped cilantro and parsley and serve.